Monday, January 25, 2016

Psalm 1 Reflection

After spending some time in Psalm 1 what really sticks out to me is in verse 2, "...who meditates on his law day and night." I think this really hits me because, here I sit, at my computer, looking ahead toward a long night of homework. I'm thinking about it, what all I need to do, how I am going to do it, but that's different from what the Psalmist is saying. Thinking about something is temporary, inevitably you will have thought through it to a point that is satisfactory in your mind, or quit because you don't feel you can give it anymore thought. No, the Psalmist uses the word "meditates" for a reason. Meditation is something more intense, something deeper. Meditation is this constant state, something kind of illusive but also ever-present. To "meditate on His law day and night" sounds like it is almost painful. God's law is almost haunting you. But what we gather from the rest of the text is that it isn't that at all. Instead, it is what will bring us the most joy. It has been said that God is most pleased when we find joy in Him. I believe this text is saying something similar. If we delight on the Law of God, or in a sense in Him, we will be like a tree planted by a stream, one that never withers and dies. His law is a constant state of nourishment for the soul. It was a welcome reminder tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. The switch that flipped for me on meditation was when I realized that it means to speak aloud, not merely thinking. It is physical, engaging the senses -- mind, body, soul all involved. That's different kind of experience than merely thinking deeply about something. And it certainly implies intentionality. Love your observation that God is most pleased when we find joy in him!

    ReplyDelete