Monday, February 8, 2016

Psalms Reflection Journal #3

         This Psalm is notable for a few reasons. I think primarily it is known as the Psalm Jesus quotes from the Cross. This is a deeply personal Psalm, filled with the honest questions of a man who feels abandoned by God. The whole Psalm seems to be a bit bipolar. The first two verses he is lamenting the feeling that God has left him, then he is praising God, then he begin to put himself down, then he praises God again. 


          Personally, this Psalm has always resonated with me. To me this Psalm encapsulates the tension between what we feel, and what we know. In my life I have definitely felt like God was not there. I have felt abandoned or left to suffer in my own sin. On the other hand, however, I know the truth that God will never abandon His people. I know I am not a “worm…. scorned by everyone” no matter how much I feel it. The beauty of the Psalms is that the authors are real, honest, and unashamed of their emotions. They pour out their feelings to God and let Him know just how they feel, but, they always remind themselves, and thus their readers, that how we feel is not always a proper reflection of what we ARE. 

1 comment:

  1. This really is an amazing psalm that every human being can resonate with at some point in their lives. The fact that God resonates with it as well in his own experience is mind blowing. Great meditation.

    ReplyDelete